Friday, September 27, 2013

Marvel Universe - End Times

So, I try (try being the operative word) to have a new display up for our store's biggest event, Free Comic Book Day. I'm still trying to dig up my favorite one, which entailed all of the heroes of Marvel attending their own Free Comic Book Day at Rogues Gallery, but this one, lovingly called End Times...well, it's a little darker.

This one took quite awhile. And it all started with a single piece of foamboard. It was a scrap piece, but it was rather large and an odd shape.

I decided it looked like it would make a cool space ship.

It grew from there.



It grew into a little section of city! This is a process shot of it coming along. I remember free-handing all of the 4's for the Baxter Building at 3 in the morning, mainlining coffee, and really regretting the decision to include the building. Essentially though, what I wanted was a bombed out section of city. I think I accomplished that.


A closer look at the top of the apartment building and the Baxter Building. You have to throw in a billboard, and since it was New York, it only felt appropriate for the billboard to have J. Jonah Jameson's face on it.



So, in my madness (and as the display continued to grow) I decided that it would be cool to have the FF trailing through the air in the Fantasticar. Since I did not care for the movie version of the vehicle (and with that being the only one available to me) that meant I had to make one. Overall, I was super happy with how it came out.


An interior shot of the "ship". That is indeed a working weapons locker. It really did slide in and out of the wall. There are also a few screens showing data. One shows the Marvel Universe galaxy map while the other had a screen shot of Attilan, the Inhuman's home.


As this display was called "End Times" I figured that I needed some big guys to fill in some of the space. The first thing that popped into my mind was Sentinel. Who doesn't love skyscraper size robots of death?


And here's the more colorful version of that lovable, huggable, murder fueled death machine.


And the Devourer of Worlds didn't escape the guest list. Come on, that would just be silly. Behind him is a more mobius-strip design for Galactus' ship.


I loved the notion of a hero smashing through a video screen. At first, I was going to have Tony being thrown through it, but I felt that a more heroic display of action was better.


A somber image of Captain America standing in the smoldering remains of New York City. And yup, you gotta love McFarlene action figures. A lot of them can double as actual gargoyles!


The finished process shot! Chaos is everywhere. Kang (holding onto the Necrinomicon) fights Tony, whilst Luke Cage takes on Absorbing Man, Wrecker and Daken! Also Deadpool is so cool, the Apocalypse means nothing. He just wants to watch TV!



Cthulhu decides to crash the party, his tentacles swooping in and grabbing some of the party guests. Also, Magneto throws a few random missiles at his most hated foes, the X-Men.


The actual Apocalypse waltzed in (he wasn't invited) and quickly took the situation in hand. Poor Colossus, he never stood a chance.


Daredevil fighting Bullseye! Storm and Hawkeye fighting Ultron! Scarlet Witch fighting Cthulhu! Venom taking on Hank Pym!

No comments:

Post a Comment